Star Awards turned into teaching moments
Today, my eldest was awarded the Star Student award…again. He’s
received this award since Kindergarten. I try not to be overly excited for him
or even show my excitement at all because this child of mine…hhhmmmm…TOO SURE!
He is smart, and boy does he know it.
He’s reminded me and about his Star Awards since we got the
letter from school, and every time, he adds a blardy toy or
playstation game on his list of things to reward him with.
Monday evening on the car ride home after school, son brought up his Award ….again! I get his excitement-- but then
the conversation suddenly turned sour when he started comparing himself to his
little brother and his cousin who have never gotten the Star Award at all. That
high pitch in his laugh sounded so evil I wanted to reach over the slap him
across the face….INSTEAD.. I hit him where it hurts most…his EGO. ‘EGO is the anesthesia
that deadens the pain of stupidity’ and Pride is the burden of a foolish person’.
"Son, you are NO better than your brother or any other kid who
didn’t get the Star Student Award. Your work is average. You are average! (child puhleeze.) You
are not a Star Student. You are a Star Student when I say you’re a Star
Student. Don’t ever compare yourself to your brother, your cousins or anyone
else and don’t you dare give me a list of things and demand to waste my hard
earned money on these things just because you think you’re a big shot because
you got awarded a measly Star Student Award. Now sit down, put on your seat
belt, and think about what I just said!”
Growing up in Lefaga, no such things as rewards. We worked
hard because if we came 2nd or 3rd, that’s not good
enough in my parent’s book and it meant chores, homework, chores and more
homework until you’ve memorized whatever the hell you need to memorize. When
you come 1st in class, you get a measly pat on the back – and maybe
a falai pisupo to sami your sili. And we were fine with it. I'm fine with it! I mean..i turned out ok!
Needless to say, in today’s age, with technology and
pressure, these mini awards, such as Star Student Awards, are turned into
exaggerated events…almost like a mini College Graduation. I am and will always
be that parent with the kid with 1 lei or 1 ulalole at these events while other
kids have balloons, posters and leis up to their eyeballs. Yes that is my kid
with the 1 lei. Great job kid!
The only graduations that matter (to me at least) …is your
high School and College Graduation. That. Is. All.
Kindergarten, 1st grade, 6th grade, 8th
grade graduations---- e le kaulia mea ga.
Tai has 2 friends who have gotten the same award as him in
the last 2 years. And my son would come home and tell me how his friends got
new playstation games, money, toys or whatever the hell you give a kid to
reward success. Tai has never received any of these things unless it was
Christmas or his birthday. So because he was a Star Student again this year, he
felt he is entitled to a new video game “because his friend Z’s parents buy him
whatever he wants for doing so good in school” - Now, he, Tautai, thinks he too
should get whatever the hell he wants.
Boy unless you can guarantee me a 10million signing bonus
and a contract with the NFL, you ain’t getting jack shit.
Now stop being an idiot, go back to your corner and face the wall.
And now I have no idea what the moral of the story supposed
to be. All I know is, My son got Star Student, and I got disgusted with the way
he was acting and I felt like knocking him over the head.
Honey, ain't no body got time for entitled brats.
Honey, ain't no body got time for entitled brats.
Comments
Merry Christmas to you and the family doc xo