My gift to the Youth!
I've just finished my last presentation for the year and I'm already excited for next year.
For the past couple of weeks, I’ve been blessed enough to
speak to the high school youth in our area about Financial Literacy, career
pathing, education and sharing what little I know about life in general. Many
students with different personalities, interests, their hopes and dreams - all
of them so unique, very fascinating and I enjoyed conversing with them and
listening to their stories.
Some of them knew exactly what they want out of life -
they’ve already got plans in motion.
They shared high hopes and have set very
high expectations for themselves – the high achievers and go getter lot. I
loved that! These guys reminded me of me when I was their age ;)
Sadly, a good number of them have no idea what
they want to do or where
they see themselves in 5 or 10 years from now.
To
them, they just want to graduate high school then maybe find a job or move in
with their boyfriend/girlfriend (the f**k?) or maybe move to the mainland.
Most
just shrug shoulders and said ‘I don’t know!’
One kid said ‘I just want to surf all day everyday!’
I asked “and how will
you support yourself?”
His answer “That’s why you have parents”.
“Can you rely on your parents your whole life?”
“yeah!”
Sadly, this is a common thinking with the youth today (or maybe just the guys I've talked to)
– they
got their parents or someone else that they can rely on.
Our youth today is spoilt – me thinks
but then I also believe that it comes down to their parents.
Parents should take some time to talk with their children about the future.
Set
some goals, step by step, little by little.
Growing up in the islands – my siblings and I were instilled
the values of hard work.
Even as we moved overseas for my dad’s education and
career, my parents kept us grounded.
Our parents are not from wealthy families.
They’ve struggled their whole lives to get to where they are today.
I’ve seen
and continue to see their hard work and I push myself to do the same because
I
see where they’ve come from and where they are now.
I believe anyone can do it as long as they believe they can
and have the right attitude.
My mom is the epitome of a can do attitude. She was an A student in high school until she got diagnosed with severe migraines on her last year which caused her
skull to turn real soft that you can just poke through it with your
finger.
She suffered pretty badly that she almost died and my Nana and most of
her family believed she was cursed with ‘ma’i aitu’ literally translated to
‘ghost sickness’.
Unfortunately, for mom, her education stopped there – after
her PSSC exams.
But that didn’t stop her from working hard to be the best
version of herself - without higher education. She taught herself sewing and
crafting (which unfortunately did NOT rub off on me or any of my sisters for
that matter) and to this day – she’s made a good living from sewing and
crafting. Hard work and the right attitude - I tell you....that's her secret to success!
So here's my Christmas present to you – the Youth of today – if
any is reading this;
because I believe that, when you know better, you do better
and because I’m sharing this with you weather you like it or not J
If you’re sitting around and waiting for someone to save
you, to fix you or even help you
- you are wasting your time.
If you’re praying all day but not getting up off your behind
to do the work
– you’re wasting your time.
If you're feeling sorry for yourself and
expecting others to feel sorry for you and help you
– you’re wasting your time.
If you’re thinking all will be ok because you have your
parents around forever to help you
– you’ve got some issues.
If you think you’re still young and you don’t have to worry
about these things, it's for adults
– you’re missing out on many opportunities.
Let me remind you that YOU are responsible for YOUR OWN
LIFE!
Only YOU have the power and the responsibility to move your life
forward.
And the sooner you understand that and do something about it – the
sooner your life gets into gear.
It does not matter where you come from – doesn’t matter what
your parents did, what your friends did, or what people say about or to you –
it doesn’t even matter what you did.
What matters is NOW!
Forgive the past,
accept the responsibility and move forward.
Forget the negative talk and the
people who say you cannot do it or you are not worth it
- push yourself and
never be afraid to honor yourself.
Where you are in life is based upon what you believe.
If you
believe you can be great, you will achieve greatness.
You may not have it now, but if
you put in the work, you will get there.
Fake it until you make it!
Believe that you can and you will succeed in whatever you
do!
Become the BEST version of yourself.
Remember, it is YOUR
responsibility – yours and yours alone J
(But I'm here too if you need a lil nudge to help you get going)
Happy Holidays J
Comments