Matai Titles!
This is the 2nd time I have been approached to take up a matai title from my family!
The first time I got asked - I flat out said - NO THANKS!
I'm annoyed and frustrated!
I'm already a contributing member to the damn ridiculous family saogameas that I despise and hate so much!
Why would I pay $3000 for a title when I know it probably won't do me any good?
And why is a Matai title so darn expensive?
In my understanding, matai titles were bestowed on those worthy of the title!
I thought you had to earn it!
And I understand that if you earn something, you didn't have to pay for it.
"Hey, we are planning to do 10 nofo this Chritmas for the title (insert matai title here)
If you want to be a (insert matai title here) it'll cost you $3000."
Saofa'i/Nofo: why do you have to feed the whole village when you are given title?
Can't we just have an intimate ava ceremony, say a prayer to praise the Lord and go on our merry ways?
Why can't it be that simple?
This is just one way most Samoans use the culture as a vessel to make money and get free food!
vent over!
The first time I got asked - I flat out said - NO THANKS!
I'm annoyed and frustrated!
I'm already a contributing member to the damn ridiculous family saogameas that I despise and hate so much!
Why would I pay $3000 for a title when I know it probably won't do me any good?
And why is a Matai title so darn expensive?
In my understanding, matai titles were bestowed on those worthy of the title!
I thought you had to earn it!
And I understand that if you earn something, you didn't have to pay for it.
"Hey, we are planning to do 10 nofo this Chritmas for the title (insert matai title here)
If you want to be a (insert matai title here) it'll cost you $3000."
Saofa'i/Nofo: why do you have to feed the whole village when you are given title?
Can't we just have an intimate ava ceremony, say a prayer to praise the Lord and go on our merry ways?
Why can't it be that simple?
This is just one way most Samoans use the culture as a vessel to make money and get free food!
vent over!
Comments