The BIGGEST SCARE of our LIVES
Now that I finally have SOME time to actually take a breather, I can finally sit down and write about the biggest scare of our lives, which happened on 08/30/2010. A day I will NEVER forget. The day we thought we were going to lose our baby boy to the big man above. (well at least I did)
It was a beautiful Monday in Laie. My mom had just arrived from Samoa the previous Friday. WE had so much fun that weekend. Sam was off from work and he was planning to take mom and baby to town for a kafao and run errands etc.
I had to work (story of my life) =(
When the trio returned from town, Tai was starting to get feverish. They got home and Sam headed straight for the fridge, where he grabbed baby’s pain/fever medicine and called me to see how much dosage to give baby. As soon as I said 5mls, I heard my mom screaming in the background, next thing you know, Sam wasn’t responding to my “What’s going on? Why she screaming? What’s happening?HELLO! HELLO!” questions. I knew right away something was wrong and I was pissed that Sam just left me hanging on the phone worried. He could at least just yell out “Come home” or something. No, he left me hanging and my heart started racing. I recklessly (kinda) yelled a big fat “SHIT” while I hung up my work phone, grabbed my keys from my drawers and ran out of the office with the eyes of a couple of shocked clients running after me. I stared her down with that “Don't F*** with me right now”look I left the branch with just 2 tellers and no supervisor. Lucky one of the tellers called my Manager to let him know that I stormed out like a mad woman and they dont know whats going on.Yes, I didn’t give a rats hoots anymore.
I rushed to my car with no shoes, jumped in and sped off home. 2minutes seemed like FOREVER.
Parked and ran into the house, I found the water running in the dish sink, the laundry sink, the shower running, and couldn’t hear a sound other than the running water. “Tai? Tai?” I yelled as I turned off the running tabs.
I walked into Tai’s room and saw my mom and my husband trying to revive this little naked chubby body on the bed. He was turning purple. OMG, My heart dropped, stomach flipped, and I panicked. I rushed over, pushed my poor mommy aside and picked up my son. My mom grabbed him from me, ran to the bathroom, turned on shower, jumped in with baby and kinda pushed down on the top of his head. I tried to stay strong and tried to fight back the damn tears. Baby finally made some noise and had white mucus coming out of his mouth. He was actually breathing but eyes still SHUT. WE keep saying his name but he never looked or woke up.
My mom was starting to panic. She was trying to keep calm for my sake-bless her heart. My hubby-bless him too- hadn’t he reacted the way he did, I would for sure knock out in the middle of the room. I was going crazy. Sam held baby up to his ear to monitor his breathing while we waited for the Ambulance. I ran to the road to wave the Ambulance and Fire Truck down and brought them back to the house. My gosh, the whole 30seconds on the road felt like a lifetime. “HURRY UP” I dramatically yelled in the middle of the road, to no-one in particular, I was just mad that I could hear the sirens but couldn’t see the damn ambulance.
Anyways, to make a story short, Fire truck got there first, they made sure he was breathing, too his vitals, etc. Tai was still sleeping. All I could see was his tummy moving which gave me some peace of mind that he was actually breathing. It wasn’t until one medic poked his big toe with a needle that he gave out a loud cry but still eyes closed and sounded really weak too. A minute later, he was up but was now crying non-stop. I’ve never been so HAPPY to hear a baby scream his lungs out. I couldn’t stop holding him. I kept smothering him with kisses from head to toe and I think Tai got annoyed he actually kicked my glasses off my face..hehe
Anyways, we went to the hospital for more testing to see why and how he got a seizure and what caused baby’s temp to spike so fast. WE practically spent the whole day there with my poor bubba getting poked here and there for blood samples and this funny bags that were hooked on to his penis to try and collect a urine sample. Definitely NOT something any parent would want to see happen to their only child or any of their children. I will NEVER EVER wish this upon any of my family, friends, and if I had enemies, I wouldn’t wish this on them either. So heartbreaking to see your child turn purple and know that you’ve tried and couldn’t do nothing.
We kept going back to the hospital up to Wednesday for blood draws, antibiotic shots etc. Finally, the doctor concluded given test results that bubs had bacteria in his blood that caused the fever to spike so fast he went into feberal seizure. For all you parents out there, if your child ever goes through this (hopefully they will NEVER) make sure you lie them on their side, so when they puke, they can puke it out to the side instead of swallowing the puke back inside, check if they’re breathing before calling 911, take off all their clothes, get some wet cloths (tab water, no need ice water) sponge them down, and give them the fever/pain medicine, motrin or whatever fever medicine you have. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT PANIC. That would be the worst thing you will ever do in a situation like this. Keep calm, say a silent prayer and keep the faith.
To-date: Bubs is doing much better. Running around and being his kalepe self again. I wanted to quit work and just stay home with him. I didn’t return to work until Thursday. Thank God for an understanding, lovable BOSS. He told me to take as much time that I needed. Bless his heart.
Having mom here is a blessing in itself. Now that we sit back and think about it, if mom never pushed down on baby’s head, baby would’ve probably be in Heaven right now. And if Sam wasn’t off from work, don’t know how my mom would have been able to call 911 or call any of us. So before we returned home on Monday, we visited T-Mobile and got my mom a phone to keep at home with her and bubs in case anything happens. And everytime I hear a siren goes off, I get on the phone and call mom to see if everything is ok at home. Yes, I’m still traumatized; don’t know when I can wake up from it all. TRULY the SCARIEST day of my life. BUT we are forever grateful to Heavenly Father for watching over us and our baby boy that day. WE thank him for giving us the courage to get by that terrifying day.
Now its time to get back to planning my baby boy’s 1st birthday party which is in 2weeks time…dang, these little midgits grow too darn fast.
It was a beautiful Monday in Laie. My mom had just arrived from Samoa the previous Friday. WE had so much fun that weekend. Sam was off from work and he was planning to take mom and baby to town for a kafao and run errands etc.
I had to work (story of my life) =(
When the trio returned from town, Tai was starting to get feverish. They got home and Sam headed straight for the fridge, where he grabbed baby’s pain/fever medicine and called me to see how much dosage to give baby. As soon as I said 5mls, I heard my mom screaming in the background, next thing you know, Sam wasn’t responding to my “What’s going on? Why she screaming? What’s happening?HELLO! HELLO!” questions. I knew right away something was wrong and I was pissed that Sam just left me hanging on the phone worried. He could at least just yell out “Come home” or something. No, he left me hanging and my heart started racing. I recklessly (kinda) yelled a big fat “SHIT” while I hung up my work phone, grabbed my keys from my drawers and ran out of the office with the eyes of a couple of shocked clients running after me. I stared her down with that “Don't F*** with me right now”look I left the branch with just 2 tellers and no supervisor. Lucky one of the tellers called my Manager to let him know that I stormed out like a mad woman and they dont know whats going on.Yes, I didn’t give a rats hoots anymore.
I rushed to my car with no shoes, jumped in and sped off home. 2minutes seemed like FOREVER.
Parked and ran into the house, I found the water running in the dish sink, the laundry sink, the shower running, and couldn’t hear a sound other than the running water. “Tai? Tai?” I yelled as I turned off the running tabs.
I walked into Tai’s room and saw my mom and my husband trying to revive this little naked chubby body on the bed. He was turning purple. OMG, My heart dropped, stomach flipped, and I panicked. I rushed over, pushed my poor mommy aside and picked up my son. My mom grabbed him from me, ran to the bathroom, turned on shower, jumped in with baby and kinda pushed down on the top of his head. I tried to stay strong and tried to fight back the damn tears. Baby finally made some noise and had white mucus coming out of his mouth. He was actually breathing but eyes still SHUT. WE keep saying his name but he never looked or woke up.
My mom was starting to panic. She was trying to keep calm for my sake-bless her heart. My hubby-bless him too- hadn’t he reacted the way he did, I would for sure knock out in the middle of the room. I was going crazy. Sam held baby up to his ear to monitor his breathing while we waited for the Ambulance. I ran to the road to wave the Ambulance and Fire Truck down and brought them back to the house. My gosh, the whole 30seconds on the road felt like a lifetime. “HURRY UP” I dramatically yelled in the middle of the road, to no-one in particular, I was just mad that I could hear the sirens but couldn’t see the damn ambulance.
Anyways, to make a story short, Fire truck got there first, they made sure he was breathing, too his vitals, etc. Tai was still sleeping. All I could see was his tummy moving which gave me some peace of mind that he was actually breathing. It wasn’t until one medic poked his big toe with a needle that he gave out a loud cry but still eyes closed and sounded really weak too. A minute later, he was up but was now crying non-stop. I’ve never been so HAPPY to hear a baby scream his lungs out. I couldn’t stop holding him. I kept smothering him with kisses from head to toe and I think Tai got annoyed he actually kicked my glasses off my face..hehe
Anyways, we went to the hospital for more testing to see why and how he got a seizure and what caused baby’s temp to spike so fast. WE practically spent the whole day there with my poor bubba getting poked here and there for blood samples and this funny bags that were hooked on to his penis to try and collect a urine sample. Definitely NOT something any parent would want to see happen to their only child or any of their children. I will NEVER EVER wish this upon any of my family, friends, and if I had enemies, I wouldn’t wish this on them either. So heartbreaking to see your child turn purple and know that you’ve tried and couldn’t do nothing.
We kept going back to the hospital up to Wednesday for blood draws, antibiotic shots etc. Finally, the doctor concluded given test results that bubs had bacteria in his blood that caused the fever to spike so fast he went into feberal seizure. For all you parents out there, if your child ever goes through this (hopefully they will NEVER) make sure you lie them on their side, so when they puke, they can puke it out to the side instead of swallowing the puke back inside, check if they’re breathing before calling 911, take off all their clothes, get some wet cloths (tab water, no need ice water) sponge them down, and give them the fever/pain medicine, motrin or whatever fever medicine you have. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT PANIC. That would be the worst thing you will ever do in a situation like this. Keep calm, say a silent prayer and keep the faith.
To-date: Bubs is doing much better. Running around and being his kalepe self again. I wanted to quit work and just stay home with him. I didn’t return to work until Thursday. Thank God for an understanding, lovable BOSS. He told me to take as much time that I needed. Bless his heart.
Having mom here is a blessing in itself. Now that we sit back and think about it, if mom never pushed down on baby’s head, baby would’ve probably be in Heaven right now. And if Sam wasn’t off from work, don’t know how my mom would have been able to call 911 or call any of us. So before we returned home on Monday, we visited T-Mobile and got my mom a phone to keep at home with her and bubs in case anything happens. And everytime I hear a siren goes off, I get on the phone and call mom to see if everything is ok at home. Yes, I’m still traumatized; don’t know when I can wake up from it all. TRULY the SCARIEST day of my life. BUT we are forever grateful to Heavenly Father for watching over us and our baby boy that day. WE thank him for giving us the courage to get by that terrifying day.
Now its time to get back to planning my baby boy’s 1st birthday party which is in 2weeks time…dang, these little midgits grow too darn fast.
Comments
oxo