Our Hospital Scare
July 28th 2009 @ 12.25noon.
Just finished a sit down with a client, ready for my lunch break. Got up to fax some documents to the back office when I got these sharp piercing pains on my right side just below my ribcage; I fell back into my chair and my pule came over to see if I was ok.
I waited for a while to see if the pain would stop but it kept getting worse. Immediately, I called my doctor to see what was going on. Doctor was out to lunch so I got the OB advice nurse. The conversation started;
OB: Aloha, this is Cynthia Jenkens how can I help you?
Me: *panting..in pain* Hi my name is Jennifer, Kaiser #9582088. I’m 34weeks pregnant and I’m having really sharp pains on my right side.
OB: one moment let me pull up your chart..pause..ok, gotcha, is your tummy getting harder when you’re in pain?
Me: Yup
OB: what kind of pain?
Me thinking*freck,…I just told you sharp piercing pains* SHARP PIERCING
OB: Ok, you’re having contractions..go straight to Labor and Delivery in Moanalua, I’ll call them and let them know.
ME: eeerrrr…I’m not having the baby and these are not contractions..im only 34weeks
OB: *sounded annoyed*: how often does the pain come..every 3 or 5mins?
ME: it doesn’t go away..its just there..I think I would know when baby is coming..and it doesn’t feel like its coming..its on my right side only..below my ribcage
OB: well it is my judgement you go straight to delivery but seems like you don’t want to. But if your cervix is opening up…
Me: I assure you its NOT. Can I just see my doctor asap?
OB: Sure she’s out to lunch..will put you down for first appt when she gets back..say 1:30?
Me: Coming rite now. Thank you
Sure she was probably thinking what a fiapoko little brat I was on the phone, but hey, I ain’t driving all the way on the other side of the island just because some nurse thinks I was having my child at only 34weeks. And I think my body knows what it was going thru and it was def. not labor.
Anyways, called hubby and 2mins he was in my office to pick me up. He looked nervous/worried. (it was kinda funny seeing him like that)
I was in so much pain the whole way to the hospital but I tried to hold it in coz I didn’t want the driver to go all crazy transporter man and run all the red lights. Better late than NEVER!!!! I could tell his mind was running in circles on the way. In shock?; I would think so.
So, got to the clinic and went straight to the lab for specimen and blood samples. Pain started to calm down a bit; only hurt when I moved. Doc, firstly checked if baby was alrite and he sure was doing jolly good in there, kicking away like nothing’s wrong. Everything checked out good and Doc, concluded that it was a pulled muscle and ordered to refrain from any heavy lifting or reaching for things etc etc. Unfortunately, that didn’t take the pain away. I was still in a whole lot of pain but couldn’t take any medicine for it. So we came home and I TRIED to sleep it off.
So apart from that whole drama yesterday, we had to get up early this morning and drive to Kaneohe for the 3hour glucose test since I failed the one hour test by one lousy point. Thanks to hubby and the wireless connection for keeping me sane the whole 3hours..ahar..i’d be bored out of my brains if I was sitting there alone.
Too much excitement for us this week already; and I am surprisingly looking forward to being back to work tomorrow. I think the only thing that’s keeping me going is the fact that my mom is coming over soon, and the fact that I want this baby to be a healthy bubba when he finally decides to come out.
Alritey, enuf ramblings from my side for tonight, I’m off for a good shower and some good nite sleep. Gawd knows I deserve a good rest..aaaaahhhh
Just finished a sit down with a client, ready for my lunch break. Got up to fax some documents to the back office when I got these sharp piercing pains on my right side just below my ribcage; I fell back into my chair and my pule came over to see if I was ok.
I waited for a while to see if the pain would stop but it kept getting worse. Immediately, I called my doctor to see what was going on. Doctor was out to lunch so I got the OB advice nurse. The conversation started;
OB: Aloha, this is Cynthia Jenkens how can I help you?
Me: *panting..in pain* Hi my name is Jennifer, Kaiser #9582088. I’m 34weeks pregnant and I’m having really sharp pains on my right side.
OB: one moment let me pull up your chart..pause..ok, gotcha, is your tummy getting harder when you’re in pain?
Me: Yup
OB: what kind of pain?
Me thinking*freck,…I just told you sharp piercing pains* SHARP PIERCING
OB: Ok, you’re having contractions..go straight to Labor and Delivery in Moanalua, I’ll call them and let them know.
ME: eeerrrr…I’m not having the baby and these are not contractions..im only 34weeks
OB: *sounded annoyed*: how often does the pain come..every 3 or 5mins?
ME: it doesn’t go away..its just there..I think I would know when baby is coming..and it doesn’t feel like its coming..its on my right side only..below my ribcage
OB: well it is my judgement you go straight to delivery but seems like you don’t want to. But if your cervix is opening up…
Me: I assure you its NOT. Can I just see my doctor asap?
OB: Sure she’s out to lunch..will put you down for first appt when she gets back..say 1:30?
Me: Coming rite now. Thank you
Sure she was probably thinking what a fiapoko little brat I was on the phone, but hey, I ain’t driving all the way on the other side of the island just because some nurse thinks I was having my child at only 34weeks. And I think my body knows what it was going thru and it was def. not labor.
Anyways, called hubby and 2mins he was in my office to pick me up. He looked nervous/worried. (it was kinda funny seeing him like that)
I was in so much pain the whole way to the hospital but I tried to hold it in coz I didn’t want the driver to go all crazy transporter man and run all the red lights. Better late than NEVER!!!! I could tell his mind was running in circles on the way. In shock?; I would think so.
So, got to the clinic and went straight to the lab for specimen and blood samples. Pain started to calm down a bit; only hurt when I moved. Doc, firstly checked if baby was alrite and he sure was doing jolly good in there, kicking away like nothing’s wrong. Everything checked out good and Doc, concluded that it was a pulled muscle and ordered to refrain from any heavy lifting or reaching for things etc etc. Unfortunately, that didn’t take the pain away. I was still in a whole lot of pain but couldn’t take any medicine for it. So we came home and I TRIED to sleep it off.
So apart from that whole drama yesterday, we had to get up early this morning and drive to Kaneohe for the 3hour glucose test since I failed the one hour test by one lousy point. Thanks to hubby and the wireless connection for keeping me sane the whole 3hours..ahar..i’d be bored out of my brains if I was sitting there alone.
Too much excitement for us this week already; and I am surprisingly looking forward to being back to work tomorrow. I think the only thing that’s keeping me going is the fact that my mom is coming over soon, and the fact that I want this baby to be a healthy bubba when he finally decides to come out.
Alritey, enuf ramblings from my side for tonight, I’m off for a good shower and some good nite sleep. Gawd knows I deserve a good rest..aaaaahhhh
Comments