7 years ago



I became a renewed virgin ---lol. I kid.

Seven years ago, I got BAPTIZED..

As a newbee member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also known to many as “The Mormon Church”. Yes after much soul searching and lots of investigation/lessons, I decided it was the right thing to do

It was also the first time I met Sam. (well unofficially) I only vividly remember him as the guy who was holding all my jewelry while I had to get ready for the actual baptism.
According to him, it was the best day of his life. *me rolling my eyes* He was fresh off a 2year church mission, where he received an honorable release after serving in Australia.
As a new released missionary, he was asked by his father (the bishop at the time) to speak on my baptism.
He was to bare his testimony and give some words of wisdom for the 'newbee'. lol

Needless to say, I NEVER, or I should say COULD NOT pay attention during the whole sermon. “S” was blabbing on about some of his spiritual experiences in Aussie (or so my friends told me), and I was too busy txting my boyfriend at the time (who was having a hard time trying to find the chapel where the whole baptism was taking place)

My parents weren’t present.
My dad pretty much disowned me when he found out that I was changing religions on the same day of the baptism.
Dad is one of the deacons of the Kaiki (Congregational Christian) Church. And for me to change religions like that was not only a SHOCK but a DISGRACE to the family. I wasn't sure if Dad was mad because of what the big matai of his family would say OR because I somehow deceived him and went behind his back. Dad's aiga is all about status, and it makes me sick to my stomach.
Mom was and still is the open one, she supported me no matter what, and she believed in why I was doing it. Mom’s family also gave their full support while dad and his Lefaga ancient aiga on the other hand, were all against me joining the Mormon Church or (MORON church according to dad)

Let me add that before I decided to change religions, Dad and I were like peanut butter and jelly. We were so close it was impossible for us to not speak or look at each other.

It was a hard and tough decision, but at the time, I was determined to make my own choices and stand up for what I believe in and not what everyone else said I should do.

Regardless of my family’s’ absence, my friends were there front and center for me. I felt good about myself and I felt that I was doing the right thing. There were no regrets at all, and the spirit was right there with me as well.

The whole experience was just so WONDERFUL.

From the prayers to the hymns, to inspirational talks, to the friendly faces of those who attended and to the baptism fountain, right down to when I finally emerged from underwater as a whole new person.

The feeling of being re-born was just amazing. I actually don't even know how to describe it except to say that I could literally feel it through the souls of my bones to my skin.
I felt 'CLEAN' (for the lack of better words).

IT FELT LIKE A NEW BEGINNING FOR ME:)
What an awesome feeling it was; and I am forever grateful that I chose that path in life.

------------------------
My Conversion Story:
My whole life, I grew up in the Kaiki Church. Something NEVER felt right.
There was always something that each member of the congregation needed to donate for/to.
Donations for the Faifeau (minister) and his family.
Donations to renovate the Church headquaters.
Yes, Donations always in money form. Hardly fine mats or any of those things easy to find.
Lafogas for this and that.
Every Sunday there’s always something, & Large sums of $$$ too..
and when I say large, i'm not talking about hundreds, I'm talking Thousands of dollars...
And all in the name of the Lord, people were giving/donating with smiling faces
then they turn around and murmur amongst themselves; talking sh*t abt. the Faifeau and his family, about the church secretary and questioning where all the money is going to;
And how they can’t afford all these large amnts of donations they’re expected to give.
IT was like giving all your income to/for the church while your family eats taro and drink samoan cocoa for dinner, and be lucky enough if there's any left overs for breakfast the next day.

Not that money's an issue, But I just don't see the need for the Church to suck everyone dry, esp. when everyone's already struggling to keep their children in school and not have to sell matches and fans in front of Molesi.

I also couldn't comprehend why people had to give more than they could even afford? Seriously, people become so prideful that they would do anything to make up the $2000.00 saogameas even if they only make $200.00 a paycheck.

Then there’s the church minister who steps on the pulpit every Sunday talking about anything and everything BUT, preach about the GOSPEL or anything to help uplift the spiritual living of his congregation.



For me,
It was useless, a waste of my time.
Sunday @ Church;
Time for the LORD, NOT rubbish talk about projects to show this church can do better than that church and definitely NOT time to compare who's horse is bigger than who's horse.
I speak only from my own experience and how it was like in my village. (I'm sure everyone else have their own experiences on this subject and probably way better)
I felt like everyone was just there to show face and just for the heck of it.

Personally, I was just there because I HAD TO.

I wasn’t learning anything abt. the Gospel because the Faifeau was talking about the thieves who were stealing from Taemoa's plantation OR the pigs that were running on the road slowing down the traffic to his house, OR praising Aivalea because he gave him some $$$ that week.

The youth was deeply affected BUT, I won't go there coz that is a whole different story for another time.

The hypocrisy of it all was mindblowing, and I just couldn't take any of it anymore.
So I decided, I was gonna find my own path. So I stopped going to CHURCH all together for a while.

Luckily for me, my good friend Leroy knew about my situation and invited me to come to his church and see how it is. Leroy is a member of the Mormon church.
First Sunday I went with him, it was like heaven on earth. I was so overwhelmed with the spirit and it was the first time I felt like I was actually in CHURCH. People were so passionate about gospel. Of course some of the stories they told of Jesus Christ and how the gospel came to be, were kind of skeptical to me, but I wanted to learn more of where these facts originated from and find out the truth.

So there started the lessons with the missionaries. I swear I was probably one of the most hard headed investigators those two poor missionaries had to deal with. I had questions popping out of my ears and they always had to spend more time answering my questions than teaching their lessons..hehe

All in all, It was all WORTH it, and 6 and a half months later, the baptism took place, and I've been a faithful church goer since..hehe

I admit, I have my weaknesses and find it hard to follow the commandments at times, but I try my best.
Like Batman's Dad told Batman when he fell into a well as a little boy, "We fall, so we can pick ourselves up again."

Comments

malo suga for this post...it's good to hear other people's conversion stories...my dad was a convert too at in his young adult years and still remains the only member out of 10 kids. converts are a blessing because they strengthen the faith of those were born in the church and never had to do their own religious questioning. hope pregnancy is coming along well. take care sister.
Unknown said…
This is cool...even cooler that your hubby was there!!! :)
kuaback said…
true aye Leeyen..and who knew I'd end up marrying the guy..I used to think he was a show off..lol

and Tala..yes, working on converting my family..but everytime i talk to my dad about he always brushes me off or say "Don't push it."..lol
doesnt hurt to try aye..hehe
jandal said…
dear ia malo lava! measili lava o ga e te fiafia i lou decision and that you have found peace on the way to the Lord.
its just moi said…
hey you
this here post surprised me because I could find a good handful of people who would say similar about your previous church (no offence to the church itself) but the storey of giving more then one can afford, and then everyone silently komumu-ing behind closed doors is not an uncommon one...it is such a shame...esp as you so, in this time where people are struggling!hope the pregnancy is coming along aiight!!
Rowena said…
Awwww, what a great conversion story. I grew up in the Church but my conversion story came after I had my daughter. There's just a certain peace within you when you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.

Awww, you made me want to go to Church.

Hugs girl!

Dude, I LOVE this song! If that boy that don't love you by now, he will never never never love you, he will never never never love you...

Popular posts from this blog

2 years later

Blog challenge

Get a fan to fan yourself coz it's gonna get pretty STEAMY in here