12-14-08

SWAMPED BY RAIN, BATTERED BY WIND

It was the worst rainstorm ever to hit Oahu since 3years ago. I speak for myself when I say that this is surely the most humbling experience I've ever had in my whole YOUNG life.

Seeing my house and our little community like that has truly opened my eyes to what could become when we're not prepared. Accidents and disasters like these are bound to happen in some way or another, I just never thought it'll happen in my lifetime. ( I sound so cynical.) But really!

No wonder why the leaders of the Church have always warned/reminded us to have our 72hour kits ready. We, just never really thought we needed it until Thursday morning, when our whole household awoke to the angry sounds of thunder roaring and raindrops tumbling down outside, complete with smashing lightening shivering across the skies.
I actually was prepared to call into work and spend the day cuddling up on my comfy bed with a good book or watch a nice movie, until I saw our neighbors running around on the road like a bunch of scared rats.
I walked to the bathroom sink to wash off that morning look, put my hair up, grabbed a jacket and walked downstairs. Everyone was just standing outside, it seemed like they were waiting for something. Little did I know, they were all waiting to see if the water rises, and it did, in like 20minutes or so. YES, in as little as 20 - 30 minute the water was up to our ankles already, so the men hoped on their trucks to go get sand bags from the nearest beach.
Unfortunately, the sand bags came back a little too late as the water was already knee high inside our house, where as outside, the water level was already up to our arses.

The rain went on almost the whole day, and we had to shower twice to get out of wet clothes, only to get wet again downstairs while trying to salvage what we can.
Our pots and pans didn't make it though, I think I saw my mom's favorite pancake frying pan floating out on the street along with my pot plants while my dinning room chairs were floating with our freezer outside the house.arrrggghhh

Everything was ruined xcept for my shoes of course as that was the first thing I grabbed, threw in a daffle bag and took it straight upstairs so they won't get ruined.

Oh lawrddd give me a BREAK. Fortunately, We leave for Sachiken next week Sunday, so I'm a very excited there. This trip couldn't have come at a better time..hehehe. But then of course, there's a whole shopping list when we get back, new beds, new kitchenettes, new dinning table and new washing machine for sure. Oh yeah, I am definitely suing our Insurance company when we get back. We've been paying for Flood Insurance only for them to tell us Yesterday they don't protect against FLOODs. What kind of BULLSH*T is that??

I will give you STUPID INSURANCE company a run for your money, AFTER my vacation.

anyways, photos of the flood to come..real soon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 years later

Blog challenge

Get a fan to fan yourself coz it's gonna get pretty STEAMY in here